Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a used Zex 55,65,75 wet kit and have a question regarding the fuel tap and the purge kit install. Pretty sure some of the original fittings etc are missing. Anyhow I hooked it all up on my floor to see what all is there.

The T was on the purple extension when I got it but I'm not sure why. I removed it and attached the purge line directly to it.

anyhow, take a look. Providing everything is connected propertly so far what do I need to connect the fuel line in pic 3 to the mitsu fuel system (oh yea, 03 GTS). The fittings that are around it are what I have left.

·
Premium Member
4,349 Posts
I had a barbed fitting that i used to tap into the rubber hose, that comes from the fuel rail. It connects under the battery so you cant see that you tapped into a rubber hose. It also came with hose clamps to use with the barbed fitting.

The T would have been on the purple extension ( purge adapter) because eclipse penguins had a nitrous pressure gauge. I have a 90 degree ellbow there because it makes the lines run smoother.

Other than the barbed fitting you look like your in bussiness. Dont forget to change your spark plugs. And I would really reccomend a window switch.

You also might want to look into doing somthing like this http://www.club3g.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31253

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Chase! I'm getting the MSD digital window switch btw. I will probably go ahead and get a pressure and EGT gauge soon also. this is a hold me over until I can get a turbo. I have another vehicle to install the nitrous in at that point.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chase2000gt said:
Make sure you get the digital switch from jegs.
That was my exact plan! I have to get all new switches also, so I got a covered arming switch from ebay, I need to get a momentary rocker (open / off / close) switch for the opener, momentary for the purge and another toggle for the bottle heater. I already ordered zex plugs and will order the window switch today. I think I'll start with the 55shot and make sure it all goes well and then step up to the 75. Oh yea, I still need a clutch so that will probably be the next big item for a while.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Digital RPM Window Switch with Zex

Ok, all of the boxes are starting to arrive at the house and the fuel/nitrous delivery plumbing is done so I've been pondering the wiring of this kit. I've already searched this site (and the other one) and found a post by Nate concerning wiring of the RPM Window Switch. I have a few quick questions about switches / relays etc.

I had to purchase new switches for my setup cause penguins sold his with his car. So I got a panel and switches from Ignited and ordered a Zex remote bottle opener switch from comp cams. I got the Digital RPM Window switch from JEGS and other than wiring it up and getting relays if needed I think I'm ready to go.

Do I wire my window switch to provide the ground to the ZEX module (WET KIT)? or do I wire it between the TPS and the TPS sensor? Are relays needed for either of these to work?

If using the grounding method then the ZEX module would only be powered on during 3000 - 5800 rpm at which time if the TPS determines WOT it will activate nitrous and fuel at that same moment???

This seems a little strange to me that it would only be armed during the spraying rpm range. It seems more logical that you would want to complete the (trigger) TPS circuit only if the rpms are in the safe 3000-6000 range and let the Window Switch and Zex unit be powered on and ready by the arming switch.

Also, do I need to use a relay for the purge or the bottle heater? I'm assuming all of the switches except possibly the purge would be 15 to 20 amp.

·
Premium Member
4,349 Posts
Connect your arming switch to the positve side of your RPM window switch. Connect the window switch output ( its a ground) to the ground on your zex box. connect your zex TPS input to the TPS.

The arming switch will turn on the RPM window switch. If your in the desired range it will turn on the zex box. If you are at WOT then the zex box will open the solinoids. it all happens fast. I was worried about the zex box taking time to turn on and relize that it was at WOT. But it works well :)

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Chase2000gt said:
Connect your arming switch to the positve side of your RPM window switch. Connect the window switch output ( its a ground) to the ground on your zex box. connect your zex TPS input to the TPS.

The arming switch will turn on the RPM window switch. If your in the desired range it will turn on the zex box. If you are at WOT then the zex box will open the solinoids. it all happens fast. I was worried about the zex box taking time to turn on and relize that it was at WOT. But it works well :)
What about relays? Are any needed or can the MSD handle the current load? How about the bottle heater or purge solenoid? relay needed?

·
Premium Member
4,349 Posts
g3gtsboy said:
What about relays? Are any needed or can the MSD handle the current load? How about the bottle heater or purge solenoid? relay needed?
I think the MSD is good for 2 amps or somthing. Its enough. And the other stuff should be good, depending on where you take your power from. Im powering everything off of my cigerette lighter circuit. I figure if anything overloads itll blow that fuse first..... It hasnt.

On a side note, ATV guys run nitrous off of RC car batteries.

·
Patriot Performance
3,457 Posts
Your nitrous selonoids don't take more than a few amps each. Relays are only needed when you are pulling 15 plus. Good luck with your setup and have fun. :twothumb:

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Chase... Thank You again for the info and thanks to everyone else on Club3G for providing excellent information. This site and it's members are awesome!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Where are you all running your wires for your arming switch and purge button. I was looking at the firewall but dont really see anwhere feasible to drill a hole to do it.. if you have pics that would help as well..

·
Patriot Performance
3,457 Posts
shane8g said:
Where are you all running your wires for your arming switch and purge button. I was looking at the firewall but dont really see anwhere feasible to drill a hole to do it.. if you have pics that would help as well..
The easiest way on these cars is to run the with the main wirring harness and up through the driver side fender well. Take out the fender well cover outside and you will see exactly where to run them. This is much easier than trying to drill the firewall and install a groment.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks for the help guyz.. Now all i gotta do is just mock up the arming switch and the button for the purge kit. Im not going to use throttle switch for now, but still kinda curious on how to wiring the arming switch. I was thinking the power wire for the zex unit to the arming switch, and then from the arming switch to a 12v battery source. That way once the arming switch is flipped its just nitrous all the way. Thats the basic idea, as for now until i get the throttle sensor. Another question is the groment in the wheel well is there enough space to fit a braided hose, because my nitrous pressure guage is a manual and i will need to run the line from the zex unit directly the guage?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
shane8g said:
Thanks for the help guyz.. Now all i gotta do is just mock up the arming switch and the button for the purge kit. Im not going to use throttle switch for now, but still kinda curious on how to wiring the arming switch. I was thinking the power wire for the zex unit to the arming switch, and then from the arming switch to a 12v battery source. That way once the arming switch is flipped its just nitrous all the way. Thats the basic idea, as for now until i get the throttle sensor. Another question is the groment in the wheel well is there enough space to fit a braided hose, because my nitrous pressure guage is a manual and i will need to run the line from the zex unit directly the guage?
hook up without WOT sensor :bash:

why? I have the Zex 82021 wet kit. The Zex nitrous management unit (square purple box that you connect your lines to) has all of the components installed in it such as solenoids, electronic TPS, etc. You dont need an external TPS switch unless

A. You have another vendor's nitrous system and want to use a Zex TPS switch

B. You dont have fuel injection (manual carb linkage or something) and need to send the zex module an electronic signal.

To setup the TPS you tap into the wire harness that connects to your throttle body. Search zex installation, I think its the yellow wire but I havent installed mine yet. I highly suggest you download the pdf manual that goes along with your Zex kit and read it thoroughly before installing or using nitrous oxide on your car.

Setting your nitrous to spray with the arming switch alone sounds like an instant nitrous accident to me. Dont do it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Wouldnt a nitrous time delay kit pretty much kill the need for a tps sensor. Pretty much i think once i hit the arming switch, lets say the timing on the control is something like 8 secs. The switch is then armed as im going threw the gears, the timer goes off and then the nitrous is injected and im good 2 go. isnt that a good idea or am i still going to have to use the tps switch?

·
New daddy
3,352 Posts
shane8g said:
Wouldnt a nitrous time delay kit pretty much kill the need for a tps sensor. Pretty much i think once i hit the arming switch, lets say the timing on the control is something like 8 secs. The switch is then armed as im going threw the gears, the timer goes off and then the nitrous is injected and im good 2 go. isnt that a good idea or am i still going to have to use the tps switch?
The N20 absolutely needs to quit spraying a couple hundered RPM before the rev limiter and before you lift your foot to shift gears. Otherwise bad things will happen. End of story.

·
Premium Member
4,349 Posts
shane8g said:
That is a retarded idea. The TPS switch is ideal. Actually, a better idea is for you to step away from the nitrous bottle.

·
Registered
19 Posts
As stated before this surely isnt my first bottle. The whole idea behind the time delay method was not to have to incorporate the tps sensor. I believe the time delay only has a one shot method, you hit the time limit and one shot and your done. As for the tps sensor, once your at WOT and that switch is still armed if it will keep spraying until its unarmed. I mean its just an idea. I do understand the importance of the tps sensor just wanted to look into another idea.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts